Report by Jean McKenzie
On Friday 2 August this year thirteen very enthusiastic FeltWEST members gathered at Craft House to learn from a very experienced tutor.
Wendy has over 25 years’ experience as a felter and has been co-editor of “Felt” magazine. She is currently co-ordinator of the Australasia region for the International Feltmakers’ Association and runs her own business – The Felt Studio, in Brisbane.
Over the 3 days of the workshop, which Wendy described as an “experimental class” (and boy, was it!), everyone settled down and worked, worked, worked: cutting, slashing, embossing, using different fabrics, yarns, threads, trapping different objects under silk or muslin. I am sure she showed at least 50 different ideas, particularly on embossing. I think everyone managed 4 to 10 samples each.
Wendy was well prepared with comprehensive notes for everyone and a table full of samples to inspire participants. She also brought along finished scarves to illustrate many of the techniques covered by her at the workshop.
Wendy’s extensive knowledge and experience showed through in her presentation. She was generous with her time to all participants; answering all questions and stopping to help where required. This was reflected in the feedback given by participants at the end of the workshop. All feedback was positive, as can be seen from these few examples:
- This workshop will keep me experimenting for a long time. So many ideas and options. Fun to be able to share with many creative individuals.
- Your guidance and patience in the class is much appreciated. I will go away with a wealth of information that will be used for years to come. Thank you, Wendy.
- Finally, someone teaching Sampling – what a great way to extend your own creative direction.
- Great inspirational workshop. Able to adapt techniques shown into felting work, told to try everything, there are endless possibilities; some challenges; and results positive and/or negative are always a learning opportunity.
- Brilliant workshop – start of a wild and wonderful journey of exploration. Sampling = learning2
Thank you, Wendy, for an amazing and informative workshop.