- This event has passed.
Toss n Tell – 20 October 2018 – Tunnels and Loops
20/10/2018 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
This mini-workshop was originally scheduled for July but has been postponed to October
9:30am – Doors open
10 am – 11.30 am: Mini Workshop with Martien van Zuilen
Creating Tunnels & Using Armatures in handmade felt (or ‘Felting with a Dutch Flair’)
In this mini workshop Martien will share her technique of creating long tunnels in handmade felt. Once the tunnels have been established, a variety of armatures can be added (wire, sticks, etc), or you can create ruffled effects for sculptural works. This innovative technique is suitable for all kinds of artworks.
- maximum of 50 grams of 18-micron wool tops or batt (note: batt is not the same as prefelt)
- Felting mat: size 60 x 80 cms – preferred mat is grip mat
- Your usual felting tools/equipment (soap, netting, watering container etc)
- One towel
- One wooden dowel (diameter 2.5 cms), length 60 cms – cutting an old broomstick in half is ideal! Or bring a short pool-noodle
- Large scissors (these are important!) suited for cutting materials other than fabrics
Martien will supply additional materials for your use in the mini-workshop. A gold coin donation on the day is appreciated.
Colourant Dyeworks (Martien’s hand-dyed fibres and fabrics) will be setting up shop in the main hall. The shop will be open from 9.30, but close during the mini-workshop. It will open again from 11.30 until 3 pm.
11:45am to 12.30pm – Lunch and sharing felting news and new work.
12.30pm to 1:30pm Library & Bookings will be open.
12:30pm to 4pm – Felting time – more time for you to continue practicing what you learning in the morning, or work on your own felt project.
4:00pm – Pack n Clean
4:30pm – Close