Toss n Tell – 16 February 2019 – Fibre Finesse for Felt
February 16 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Toss N Tell
16 February 2019
9:30am – Doors open
Please write your name in the Attendance Book and put $2 into money box towards tea, coffee, milk, biscuits and venue hire and take a raffle ticket, which puts you in the drawer for FeltWEST credit voucher.
10 am – 11.30 am – The Mini Workshop is Fibre Finesse for Felt – with Sara Quail
Sara will share her experiments and the techniques she uses felting with plant fibres. Using organic viscose regenerated from wood pulp, she will demonstrate ways of incorporating these lustrous fibres into a variety of projects. Embellishing felt with decorative fibre adds surface interest by creating texture, subtle bling and colour variation. The addition of non-wool fibre also reduces pilling and increases the structural integrity of felted items, allowing for extremely thin layouts.
Participants will have the opportunity to sample the methods that they find most appealing in this mini-workshop.
- Wool: No more than 50gm – small amounts in a few colours would be ideal
- Fibres: Whatever you have and want to try, animal or plant (silk, viscose, ramie, soy, etc.) Viscose sampler packs will be available for $1 in a variety of colours.
- Felting mat: Bubble wrap x 2, +/- 50cm square; or your preferred felting surface
- Felting tool: Dowel or PVC pipe about 2.5cm in diameter, 50-60cm long or short pool noodle.
- Usual felting equipment: Felting soap, water sprayer, bowl, netting, towel
- Bar of soap – cheap / anything (additional to your regular felting soap)
- 1 or 2 pieces of gauze or lightweight nuno type fabric at least 30cm x 30cm
- Painters film, small pieces around 50cm² or a few large freezer bags
- Small to medium multipurpose scissors
- Small hand carders if you have them – optional
- Handful of small stones or similar to use as weights
Sara’s new online store – Unicorn Fibres – will be setting up shop in the main hall from 9.30 with extra fine merino wool tops & viscose roving in a large range of colours. Ball brausers and hand dyed Margilan silk gauze, cotton scrim & pre-yarn will also be available.
The shop will close for the duration of the mini-workshop and open again 11.30 – 3pm.
11:45am to 12.30pm – Lunch and sharing felting news and new work.
12.30pm to 1:30pm – Library & Bookings will be open.
12:30pm to 4pm – Felting time – more time for you to continue practicing what you learning in the morning, or work on your own felt project.
4:00pm – Pack n Clean
4:30pm – Close