- This event has passed.
FeltWEST is coming to the Perth Royal Show!! – September 22-29
22/09/2018 - 29/09/2018$25
FeltWEST is excited to have been offered a large stand free of charge at the Perth Royal Show in September. Similar events in the past (including the Fremantle Bazaar, the 2017 Midland Pop-up Shop and the recent Wagin Woolarama), indicate that the Royal Show will provide an excellent opportunity to showcase the art of felting to the public AND promote & sell the work of FeltWEST members. This is what FeltWEST is all about!
The Perth Royal Show will run over 8 consecutive days; over the past few years it has averaged attendance numbers ranging between 320,000 and 450,000 people. It is a wonderful opportunity to showcase our art and passion for felting to a very diverse audience by way of an enticing display, sale of works and daily felting demonstrations.
ALL members of FeltWEST are encouraged to make works to enter for the display. A dedicated sub-committee has commenced preparations to make it all possible, and a full update will be provided at the June 16 meeting. Briefly here:
- Anyone who is a financial member of FeltWEST at the time of the 2018 Royal Show is encouraged to enter handcrafted felted items for the display. Works can include wearables, fashion accessories, 2D and 3D items of any scale. The works can be functional, decorative, sculptural – anything goes! Works must be predominantly hand-felted (wet felting, needle felting or machine felting), and presented ready for installation. Royal Agricultural Society (WA) guidelines stipulate that there is to be strictly no selling of fibres and no promotion of external sites for the purchase of fibres;
- Entry fee for participation in the FeltWEST stand is $25 per person – this low, flat fee is set to cover costs and overheads incurred by FeltWEST;
- There is NO LIMIT to the number of works that can be submitted per person – the more the merrier;
- All works entered must be for sale and a 15% commission applies (payable to RASWA);
- Anyone who enters work is expected to volunteer for at least two 6-hour shifts on the FeltWEST stand during the 8 days of the Show. There are no exceptions; it takes a lot of people to look after a large stand at a busy event, BUT…it will be a lot of fun! Entry tickets to the Show (value $25 each) will be made available free of charge to all volunteers who abide this requirement;
- All works entered will have to have a FeltWEST sales label attached (these labels will be provided free of charge by FeltWEST well ahead of time). When works are sold, this label is removed at the point of sale for record keeping purposes. Tags will include the FeltWEST logo, sale number, maker’s name, item description and price (including 15% commission);
- Any wearable items must also include a ‘care-label’ (this is a requirement by law);
- Members are encouraged to include an additional personal label/tag (with their name, website, business info, items description & materials, etc) – people who purchase out work enjoy knowing this kind of information; and
- Packaging materials for sold items (bags, tissue paper) will be provided by FeltWEST (and carry the FeltWEST logo); and (last but not least)
- The organising committee reserves the right to not display works that do not adhere to the aims of the Association.
Regular updates about how to enter works will be provided at meetings and via E-newsletters. The main date for YOUR DAIRY is Saturday September 15 (meeting day) when all works are due.
For now, we suggest you get out your wool and other fibres and fabrics and start planning your entries – the sky is the felting limit.
The Perth Royal Show working party consists of: Kerry Bertucci, Sue Eslick, Lenore Fairfield, Marion Finneran, Peta Korb, Jean McKenzie, Sara Quail, Martien van Zuilen, and Clare Wohlnick.